Compassion

Monday, October 7, 2013

Diving Bruises


New goal: at least one new quote a week. I am over a year and a half behind in my archive, so that should be easy. No excuses, because you wouldn't want to hear them anyway.

On day in rehearsal, Doc was talking to some of the brass players. We had just come back from a weekend off, and our lack of chops were proving themselves. "Use what you gotta use, but don't bruise."

Which would've been helpful if we'd had any to use, but regardless, I'm pretty sure we all left rehearsal not wanting to talk for a week. (okay...so I probably held off the talking for like 3 minutes...but that's a record for me!)

The licks still weren't getting any better. Doc tried to motivate us on a tricky rhythm. "No heroes here. I need a 9.8 dive at least. or what did they change it to, is it 5 is perfect now?"

We just stared at him, obviously proving that we are poor college students living in a dorm with no tv/cable and having no idea of any new (or old) Olympic rules. Doc sat in the silence for a moment, then continued unabashed. "I guess it's 10. So 9.8's okay? No belly flops here please. Dum digati dum."


(Just envision this guy with a trumpet, and you'll know what we sounded like. You're welcome.)

Once again, sorry for the prolonged hiatus. It's hard to stay motivated when I'm not sure if anyone's even reading this blog or not... *insert shameless plug here*

Hobey-ho!

No comments:

Post a Comment