Compassion

Thursday, October 17, 2013

10 Values Marching Band Students Learn


10 Values Marching Band Students Learn

I really have so little to add to this. It's short, to the point, and unabashedly true. The only thing I would mention is that these are aspects any performing music group will teach students. I play bassoon, and I attended private schools my entire life. So, needless to say, I have never been in a marching band. But I have been in orchestras and bands (often both at the same time, and once even 3 orchestras in the same semester on top of the school band) and I have to say, all of this still applies. 

Just today actually, I was thinking about some things that I missed growing up due to music. This was brought on by passing a street advertisement for adult volleyball leagues and my dismay to find out there was no beginner group option (I played just a tiny bit in middle school, and then through my work at a high school last year, was assistant coach for the volleyball team, which refreshed my - somewhat limited - skills and reminded me of how much fun it is to play volleyball). I thought back to high school or college when I could have gained those volleyball skills easier, and yet it wasn't in a "If only I had..." or even a "Wonder what would've happened if..." moment. My thought went, "I'm sure I would've had fun doing that." But it was in no way a regret. 

Music has been hands down the best thing that has ever happened to my life for more reasons than this blog would fill.

Feel free to share your similar experiences or thoughts (or different, for that matter. PLEASE TALK TO ME! *shameless plug over*).

Hobey-ho!

No comments:

Post a Comment