Compassion

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Band is Best

Beating the Drum

Closing argument for why the best extracurricular activity is band, and more specifically, marching band: Experts say that the key to high school success is rigor, relevance and relationships. Band hits on all three: It offers the rigor of learning to play music while marching in complex formations; the relevance of the discipline and team skills that benefit teens long after high school, and relationships that can  develop and deepen over all four years of high school.

Absolutely all of my best memories from elementary up through college have been those where I was involved in music. I have met some of the best (and worst, but mainly best) people. A lot was expected of us, and we rose to the challenge. We stayed busy, and that kept most of us out of trouble. And the empathy that music encourages is only one of the hundred things that will benefit me for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment