Compassion

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

That One Awkward Big Band Concert...

Now that I've given you a thorough explanation of this little blog exposé... time to get down to business!

I have to share this doozy first, even though it happened like, three years ago, because it was just THAT memorable. Doc decided to "jazz up" the Big Band Concert that quarter. So he had all of the band members write a little known fact about themselves, and then he read them out loud between pieces for audience members to guess the subject's identity. My friend Elizabeth, the only female in the group, a lovely trumpetress (you should see her make guys swoon with her harmon mute. And okay...the full rack and sexy red pumps she wears with her concert black don't hurt either), found hers picked first. It said "I've been a Type 1 diabetic for 12 years." When Doc discovered it was Elizabeth, he promptly said, "Well, I guess I'll be more understanding if you ever have to leave rehearsal to go stab yourself."


The entire hall was speechless.


I honestly don't think he realized how that sounded, but regardless, he just proceeded on with the next little known fact. Doc's college roommate also plays trumpet in the group as needed, and on his slip he'd put "I've seen the band director naked." Maybe this embarrassed Doc and he was trying to cover that up...but what he said next definitely did NOT help any. "Well, at least we know it's not Elizabeth."


Which of course, only made all of us picture Elizabeth with a naked Doc. *awkward turtle* More like *awkward bull* This time the audience roared with laughter.


I have plenty more where this came from, but I've got to keep you coming back for more, right?


Plus, it's almost time for me to enter into the orchestra pit for Sound of Music rehearsals. A little Edelweiss lullaby, anyone?


Aaaah...the life of a musician. :-)


Hobey-ho.

No comments:

Post a Comment